Draft Renewal Housekeeping Article.docx (41.4 KB) Overview
Who can renew items?
- Patrons can manually renew items
- Staff can manually renew items
- Staff must have Polaris permissions to renew items, and additional permissions to override patron renewal blocks and to renew overdue items.
- Polaris can automatically renew items
What is eligible to renew?
- Any item that is eligible to check out to the patron is eligible to renew
- EXCEPT if there are any requests on the bib record the item is attached to
- For Auto Renew, the patron’s account and item must be eligible to renew at the time the system checks (set by library) and it checks only once.
- The number of renewals allowed is set in the individual item record. Each library has their own separate policy for the number of allowed renewals.
- Checkout and renewal limits are calculated by the transacting library’s settings
What stops a renewal?
- circulation settings per patron code and registered branch - number of allowed checkouts per material type
- blocking conditions as set by the library (fines, blocks, etc.)
- Number of renewals
- Blocks on the item as set by the owning library
A Library’s ExpressCheck blocking conditions can be different than checkouts/renewals through the client or renewals in the PAC. This article has details about what blocks can be set differently in ExpressCheck. If ExpressCheck would block the patron from checking out, it will also block a renewal attempt.
- Currently, at the system level, CLC will not allow renewals if there is an existing request on any item record linked to the same bib as the checked-out item. See this article for more details.
Renewing and Fines
- If an overdue item is renewed and the renewing library charges fines, any fines incurred will be added to the patron account balance at the time of renewal.
The below article provides details on how the auto-renew process works.
This article describes the Auto Renew notice that patrons with email and/or text notices enabled will receive:
The Circulation Policies section of the SearchOhio/OhioLink Overview article includes details about Renewing material for SearchOhio items and patrons.
- what date is the renewal calculated from?
- impact on whose holds rules are used
- for example it was CKO’d at library A but renewed at library B (might be in the scenarios in the auto-renew article
- add the full list of things that will block checkout (in an article someplace)